In 2020 the school’s building envelope was causing issues – the roof was leaking, leading to significant health and safety problems. One of the major challenges was the plant and equipment on the roof.
With funding secured in 2021, the client appointed Central to:
- Install a 400m2 liquid roof and 1,000m2 bituminous roof using Alumasc products
- Use a Derbigum High Performance Roofing System – Install new casement windows and roof lights
- Complete the work with no disruption to live teaching in term-time
- Deliver the work in under 6 months
We successfully delivered the project by:
- Following all our procedures, such as H&S policies on working at height and fire risk (hot-works) as we do consistently on every project.
- We successfully delivered the project by having a pre-contract meeting with the school to look at the safest way to set up the scaffolding and site for a live school. By doing this we ensured a safe and practical workplace for both the School and Central.
- Liaising with the school every morning during the project. This ensured the project was always on programme and what our expectations were for that day for both parties.
Staff were happy with our performance, we delivered on time, in budget and to high standards of workmanship.
They now have full confidence in the roof’s 35-year guarantee. For Central, it was a privilege to install a new roofing system at Shireland, giving children a warmer, properly waterproofed building to learn in.